Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Cheese Stands Alone

I have a 7 year old boy that I'm trying to parent, basically, alone. Its not that husband doesn't WANT to help. No, its not that at all. He's just not HERE. Its making it difficult for me to keep my cool with my son.

You can tell from the little stories I have shared with you that Shecky is... well... he's a live wire. He hates restrictions and rules and just not getting his way in general. I KNOW... that's typical of ANY child. However, mine likes to whine and cry. I don't mean a little. He pitches the fit of a lifetime... every time. I don't know what to do about it. I'm to the point now where I'm just SCREAMING at him a lot. Yeah. That's not working either.

I'm trying to figure out how much of it is because his daddy isn't around much and how much of it is him just trying to get his way.

Last night I may have found a partial solution. I sent his little whiny, petulant, pissy ass to BED... at 8pm. Usually he stays up till 8:30... sometimes 9 if something special is going on (Like Daddy Being Here!) Yanno what? He got up this morning easily. NO whining, no crying, pitching of fits. Just a few giggles, some goofiness and a smile for his momma. THAT is the kid I remember. Ya' think mebbe he's just over tired at the end of the day and Mommy is too much of a ditz to figure that out? Jebus... Dumb... Assery! My biggest talent! Heh.

What's your solution when your child is acting likey they belong to someone else ... or making you kinda sorta wish they did?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aha! You did exactly what I do with my daughter and she's a whole lot older than Shecky!lol The first time I resorted to it, I, like you, realized that mostly it was because she just not getting enough sleep. Every kid is different. Turns out that extra half hour earlier made a whole world of difference in her attitude and how she reacted to stuff. Time out in the room is always a good solution, but try rewarding good behavior and doing what he's told without pitching a fit or whining. I started a goodie box full of little things she liked, hair fixings, cheap little busy toys...those little things you get in places like the dollar store to keep 'em busy on long car trips and stuff. It works!

bel said...

Wow! What haven't we tried? My Pete (not her real name) is five and apparently rules the world (in her mind). We've tried everything from ignoring the bad behavior to negotiation to sticker charts to bribes to yelling. Sometimes one of those things works. Sometimes not.

But getting more rest does seem to always make a big difference.

(This won't help you, but can I share?) One time, when I was pregnant (Pete was 4) and Pete was whining and pretending to cry (which never works), I looked her straight in the eye and said, "You better not teach your sister that." She started laughing and so had to stop having her fit. That only worked once, though.

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Mine usually freak out when I've neglected something, too. It's either I haven't made sure they got enough sleep (like in your case) or they are hungry. (What? I'm supposed to keep them fed??) Yeah, crabbiness isn't met too kindly round here. Because usually if they haven't had enough rest or a decent meal, I haven't either and I end up just as crabby.
Love your blog!